Friday, May 13, 2011

boundaries, limits, and the Bible.

Last night I was walk/jogging in my neighborhood. The walking was nice but the jogging was really difficult. I don't participate in much physical activity. Basically, I'm lazy but I am trying to change that as I read Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food.
Anyway, as I was pushing myself to jog and praying for strength, my ipod shuffled to No Boundaries from Kris Allen's season of American Idol. In my mind and my physical strength I wanted to quickly give up on this jogging thing but God sent me a song to remind me that in my weakness, He is strong.


Tonight, I was walk/jogging again and I thought about that song. No Boundaries. That means without limits. I often limit myself according to my own abilities. I have convinced myself that I will never be a skinny person or an athletic person or a runner. I can't do it. And maybe that is true. But my God does not have limits to His power. According to Acts 1:8 - "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you..." He has given me that same limitless power. In my own strength I could not finish my walk/jog or a healthy lifestyle journey but with God's limitless power and strength I can do all things (Philippians 4:13). 


I not only limit my abilities in the athletic realm but in other areas of my life as well. I believe that I cannot do something and so I refuse to even try. I so often forget about the power living in me, the power of the Holy Spirit.

This summer I will be working as children's minister. I have not ever done a job like this before. I did not really ever intend or plan on doing this job but God often has very different, BETTER plans than my own. Even before this job has offically begun, there have been moments where I have believed that I will be a failure at this job and the truth is, if I attempt it on my own I will be. But there is hope, my God will not fail if I rely on Him for strength. He can work through the limits I have placed on my life and lead me into a journey with Him that has no boundaries. I am so looking forward to the way He works this summer. 


I think God has used these moments to remind me how much I need Him and to show me just how powerful He is. May I walk in His strength and power, reminded that I can do nothing on my own, but all things through Him who gives me strength.


2 Corinthians 12:9 - Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness."

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you as my daughter and my sister in Christ! You are going to be fabulous as a Children's Minister this summer!

    ReplyDelete