Thursday, February 10, 2011

Single Servant.

I just finished reading Sacred Singleness

I got this book for Christmas. Leslie Ludy wrote it and I read When God Writes Your Love Story, which she co-wrote with her husband. It was a great book so I figured this one would be as well. I have a lot of Christian relationship books. I love to read about purity, dating, singleness and all that good stuff. 

In today's society marriage is the goal. You graduate high school, get a college degree, get married, have kids, and start your life. Not even a year ago this was my goal. My five-year plan. But God has plans of His own. I'm not giving up on marriage but I am sacrificing the desire for it to the One who knows my heart and has my very best interest in mind.

Sacred Singleness talks about living an abundant life fully sold out to God in every season of life, no matter how long it lasts. The whole book was challenging and encouraging. But the last chapter was so intense. The title is Getting Started Changing the World. I, like many others, often think I can't make a significant difference until I am older and married and living "the rest of my life". This chapter begs to differ. It gives so many practical ways to live out James 1:27- Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. 
  
The chapter walks through Matthew 25:35-40 as well which says,
For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me...I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!
I was overwhelmed by the needs and ways to help in this chapter. But I couldn't just read it and do nothing. So I started praying that God would provide opportunities. That I would be open to whatever way He would choose to use me. As I was praying/journaling these things I got a facebook message about a need for donations to a cancer society. God sent me that message. I didn't even have to think twice I knew it was from Him. He was providing a way for me to make a difference today. To care for the sick, and to ultimately care for Him.

I have a lot more praying to do and many more opportunities to seek. I have comfort zones to break free from. Challenges to overcome. But I have a Father to do it all with me and for that I am so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment