Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Love Story. Part 3.

Part 1
Part 2

From the beginning of our relationship we have known that we wanted to get married. We told each other "I love you" the day after we started dating and meant it. I guess it really is true when people say that "when you know, you just know". We have talked about engagement and marriage throughout our relationship. We even worked through part of the 101 Questions to Ask Before You Get Engaged book. God continued to confirm over time that we were supposed to spend the rest of our lives together.
I don't know the exact moment I knew without a doubt that Tyler was the one for me. I think it was a gradual process for me. He says he knew without a doubt over Christmas break. I went to visit him he weekend before Christmas and when I left he cried. I always cry when we have to be a part for more than a day (I know it's pathetic) but he doesn't really cry. So when he called after I had only been gone for about ten minutes and told me he had been crying I was surprised. He said he didn't want to have to be without me and that it wasn't the same without me there. He's precious, I know :) We weren't supposed to see each other again until New Year's Eve but he couldn't stand it so he showed up at my door on Christmas Day. I was completely surprised! 
At the beginning of this year we started to talk about when we would be engaged and Tyler asked me to show him rings that I liked. He said he figured we would be engaged by the beginning of next year or maybe even the end of the this summer if he couldn't wait that long. I just decided to believe that it would be around Christmas...
At the beginning of Spring Break I went to visit my best friend, Brooke. She is getting married in July and I am her maid of honor. We did lots of wedding things. We bought bridesmaid dresses, found her wedding dress, and looked through TONS of wedding things. It was so fun! My drive home lasted about 3 and half hours because it was pouring down rain so I had lots of time. In that time I started thinking about how I wanted to be getting married and how I knew who I was going to marry so why on earth was I not engaged yet?! 
I kept these thoughts to myself but was bitter to say the least for the next few days especially towards my sweet boyfriend. We went to visit Tyler's family at the end of the week. I was quiet (because I didn't want to talk about how mad I was that we weren't engaged) and Tyler knew something was wrong. He kept asking me about it and each time I told me I was fine and that nothing was wrong, I just didn't see how talking to him about it would make things better. I prayed that God would help me to be content and get over being selfish. I had some great devotions during those days and God was helping me.
On Friday I was still bitter and Tyler tried to guess what was wrong with me. He guessed a couple of things and I said no that wasn't it. Then he said, "Are you upset because we aren't engaged?" I just said "maybe" but he knew the answer was yes. He said he was sorry that I was upset and that I needed to talk to him about these things. Then he said he could make me happy by the end of the weekend. I doubted but said, "we'll see". I almost said, "The only way you'll make me happy is if you propose." Funny story: While I was confessing my reason for being bitter the engagement ring was about 20 feet away from me. Tyler said he was trying so hard not to laugh and he also felt so bad for me that he almost proposed right there in his parents camper.
Friday night we were in Branson and we had dinner with our families. After dinner I was still mad and told Tyler to go spend time with his family and I would just go be with mine. I woke up in a better mood Saturday morning and would be in a much better mood in only a few hours. Saturday we had planned to spend the day at Silver Dollar City with our families (his mom and dad, niece and nephew, my mom and dad, and Hope (Hannah was on a trip to Disney World)). We woke up Saturday morning and Mom, Dad, Hope, and I went to meet Tyler's family. When we got to Silver Dollar City his mom insisted that we take pictures before we ride anything. I like pictures and it's pretty normal for her to have a camera so I went along with it. She had Tyler and I pose by different trees as we made our way toward the chapel. When we got closer she said let's go take pictures in there. Side note: Tyler had planned to propose in the chapel. When we got to it there was a sign in front that said "Please be quiet we are having church". His mom went inside and asked if we could please come in so her son could propose. I had no idea any of this was going on. So we walked into the chapel and our moms were taking pictures of us as the altar. I still had no idea what was coming. Then they stopped taking pictures and I was thinking to myself "Why are we still standing up here?" Both of our families had taken seats in the pews. Tyler hugged me and said, "I've been lying to you for the past 15 days. (He had bought the ring 15 days before he proposed.) 22 years ago I took my first steps and today I am ready to take another big step." Then he took my left hand and asked if I trusted him, I said yes and he moved my True Love Waits ring to my right hand. Then he got down on one knee pulled out a beautiful ring and asked me to marry me and I SAID YES!!!! I was so surprised by the timing and the thought he put into everything! I was completely blown away! I spent the rest of the day in shock and I felt really dumb for being so mad the few days before! We got to spend the whole day with our families and it was wonderful :)
We are getting married in May 25, 2013!!!
I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with Tyler McKinney and I cannot wait to be his wife! Please pray for our future marriage and all our wedding planning!!!

 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us! Ephesians 3:20


 

No comments:

Post a Comment