Monday, December 27, 2010

Let us run...

Hebrews 12:1 - Therefore, since we are surrounded by a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
I have never been a runner. Ever. In my entire life. I don't think I will ever be one. It's just not for me. But according to this verse I need to be running. Not halfheartedly. Not walking. Not jogging. But RUNNING with endurance. God has a race set up for me. It's long and may be way more difficult than I want. But I will never finish this race if I'm just walking. I will only get part of the work done, what God has for me won't be complete if I do not run with all that I have.

Before I can become an enduring runner I have to "strip off every weight that slows me down". Some of the weight comes from sin. Many times sin is very obvious but I other times I make myself blind to my sins. Either by ignoring conviction or comparing myself to other people and their "bigger" sins. But all sin is sin and it breaks the heart of God. Sin comes in so many forms and Satan knows how to tempt us with it. He studies our weaknesses and attacks us at our most vulnerable moments. He makes sin so appealing and without God's help and strength we so often fall into it. This verse says that it easily trips us up. It is not difficult for sin to enter our lives but it can be very difficult to get rid of it. We were born with a sinful nature so sin is what we fall in to. But we aren't without hope. God always provides a way out when we are tempted. It's not always a huge neon sign with flashing lights that says "EXIT temptation here" so we have to be alert and looking for the way out. But it is there every single time. I'm thankful for that and want to look for it way more often than I do now.

Sin isn't the only thing that slows us down, though. Sometimes good things hold us back from finishing the race. Maybe they take up too much of our time. Maybe they distract us. Maybe they hold us back from better things. Whatever it is, it holds us back and slows us down. It keeps us farther away from the finish line.

I don't know all the details of my race but I know I'm ready to start running with endurance. I have things that need to be stripped off and completely let go of. I'm tired of being slow. I'm tired of not giving my best.

Today I am a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment