Saturday, December 25, 2010

what did you get?

Every year after Christmas someone will ask you "what did you get for Christmas?", it never fails. I usually hate this question. When I was little the question sounded more like, "what did Santa bring you?". Well, I didn't believe in Santa so he brought me nothing. Asking and answering this question brings jealousy for me as I hear all the great stuff others got that I missed out on. It makes me want to "elaborate" aka lie about what I got. 

But on this Christmas afternoon I am reminded of the reason I celebrate Christmas. Jesus was born on this day. It is HIS birthday, not mine. It is the day we should be giving Him gifts. Why am I so concerned with what I received when I already have the best gift EVER in Jesus Himself. For Christmas, I got:
a Savior, the chance for life eternal, greater love than I could ever receive, mercy, grace, compassion, a best friend, a Father, a Healer, a Provider, peace, joy, purpose, a place to belong, redemption, deliverance, forgiveness, a second chance, and all that Jesus is.
Thank you God for sending your son to a manager to be the Savior of the World. Thank you for showing me what Christmas is really about. Thank you for loving me even though I am so unworthy. I love you!

 Yesterday I came across the story of Bridger 
You can click on his name to read the story. He is seven years old and has given up all his Christmas presents so he can help build a well in Africa with charity:water.  When I was seven, I never would have done this. Even at 19, I am still too self-absorbed to even dream of giving up all my Christmas gifts. I am so amazed by this story. But even more I am convicted. Why do I ask for more stuff when I have way more than enough? Why am I not more like Bridger? Why am I not giving every thing I have? 

Last Christmas I asked for a new camera and I got one. But when I opened it I realized I didn't really need a new camera. The one I had worked just fine and I didn't use it that much anyway. I returned the camera, hurting my parents feelings. I spent half the money on books for myself but I used the other have to give to World VisionI debated for a while about whether or not I should save the money for later use, after all I am a "broke college student" but I finally decided to give the rest of the money away. I have not missed that money at all this year. I don't know who I helped or received that money. I don't know if it bought chickens, or school supplies, or went to help build a well. All I know is that I decided to be obedient and it was so worth it! I am so glad I did not keep that money for myself. It felt so good to know that I was making a difference, even if it was a very small one.

This year I am going to donate to Bridger's fund at charity:water and I am going to give to other places God leads me to. But I have been thinking about the years to come. I have been pondering the meaning of Christmas. If it is Jesus' birthday, He should be receiving gifts and not us. I don't get presents on my earthly father's birthday so why should I get them on my Heavenly Father's birthday. Christmas has become so twisted by our culture. I can't change the way everyone else celebrates Christmas but I can change the way I do and the way my future family will. I may be single til I'm 40, I don't know. But when I do have my own family we will be giving presents to Jesus. Whether it is through ministries like World Vision, or charities like charity:water, or feeding the homeless, or adopting/fostering orphans. I'm not exactly sure what His presents will look like, but I do know He will be receiving them. 

But maybe I don't have to wait...
Maybe I should start changing the way I celebrate Jesus' birthday today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment