Friday, January 7, 2011

content.

Yesterday in Lifeway, I picked up a journal with purity on the front cover. It was pretty and so I started flipping through it. One of the pages contained this verse:
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. - 1 Timothy 6:6-8
I have heard this verse before I am sure but I have not been able to get it out of my head since I read it. I spent the whole day yesterday in a mall. There was so much stuff. Unnecessary stuff.  Why do we feel the need to be such excessive consumers? We seem to always need the next best thing. The best technology. The best wardrobe. The best vehicle. The best thing our neighbor has. 

The context I read this verse in was about singleness. I spend a lot of time planning the future in my head. Dreaming up the day my prince will come. Fantasizing about the American Dream. Even yesterday as I was shopping with friends we talked about how we needed to marry rich guys so we could have fancy houses and nice things and buy our kids too many clothes. We looked at engagement rings and talked about marriage. It was fun but why did we spend our whole day in this focus? Why do I spend so much time trying to gain things that I can't keep that I will eventually have to get rid of? 

The only thing I can have forever is Jesus. Why am I not longing for more of Him?

I am convicted by this verse. I have plenty of food and clothing and I need to be content with that. Anything else is bonus. Even the food and clothing are. I don't deserve any of what I have. I am blessed beyond measure. 

Thank you Jesus for Your Word. Thank you for revealing Yourself. Help me to be content. Please remind me that You always have been and always will be more than enough!

1 comment:

  1. I love your heart Haley. You are filled with the Spirit and I am so thankful for the way you share it with us!

    ReplyDelete