Thursday, January 20, 2011

former pharisee

last weekend I was at a DNOW weekend in Hot Springs. The speaker mentioned the Pharisees and he used this verse to describe them...
Matthew 15:8 - These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.
I immediately thought of people in my life that have done or are doing this. Several examples came to mind and my heart began to judge. But then God reminded me that this is my story. I am a former Pharisee. And sometimes I still revert back to my old ways. 

You see, my story is that I went to church for 18 years and said all kinds of nice things. My lips were full of praise but my heart was not. I was a pastor's kid. I knew all about the Bible. I witnessed to friends. I tried to be a good example. I read my Bible. I prayed. I led worship. I taught Sunday School and Children's Church. I was on Student Leadership. People looked up to me. But it was all a lie. I knew all about God in my head but I didn't have a relationship with Him in my heart. All of that changed on April 4,2009 when I began my relationship with Jesus. 

I was reminded this weekend just how amazing it is that Jesus gave His life for me and that He gave me a ridiculous amount of chances to love Him. I am so thankful for His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment