Thursday, March 3, 2011

I can be your hero, Baby.

As a little girl I grew up watching Disney Princesses find their happy ever after which usually included a prince. Life was complete and full and perfect when the man entered the picture. A girl could go from scrubbing floors to wearing glass slippers. I was instilled with a hope that a man could fix us and transform us from ugly, imperfection to the prettiest most perfect princess. Yet this is a false hope. Jesus says he has come to give us that rich and satisfying life. (John 10:10) Not a prince charming, but JESUS.

As I grow older I watch romantic movies, listen to love songs, and read Nicholas Sparks books. My belief that a prince can save me is strengthened. I long for the day when he will come in on his white horse in his shining armor and we will ride off into the sunset of perfection. But this is another false hope that I have been clinging to according to Psalm 146:3 which says, “Don’t put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who CANNOT save you.”

I read a lot of blogs and books about being single and about marriage. God is continually teaching me that He is the lover of my soul, the only one who can fully satisfy me. I can search this whole earth looking for a prince that will save me and I will come up empty handed and utterly disappointed because such a man does not exist. I am so thankful that God is teaching me these things now while I am single.

A few years ago I thought I would be married by now or really close to it but God knew better. I am so glad He has kept me single so that I could learn more about Him and more about the purpose of marriage. I still have a lot to learn. But I know that a husband won’t complete me, only Jesus can do that. With my new knowledge I won’t try to put the pressure on another human to be perfect and to complete my life. I think my husband will thank me for that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment