Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Leaving 99.

my church has gone through some changes recently. our youth minister resigned and we are in a period of transition. for the last year and a half I have been helping with youth on Wednesday nights and whenever else I was needed. I love being used in that ministry. Since our youth minister is gone I don't really feel needed anymore. We don't have small groups and so I feel like I'm just there but I don't belong. 

Last week I was really considering just not going on Wednesday nights anymore. But I had to go last week so I could pick up a girl that comes sometimes. She is really sweet and I always pick her up when she wants to come. Sometimes she will bring a friend but other times it is just the two of us. She doesn't go to school with the kids in our youth group and she is kind of shy so I try to sit with her and make her feel welcome. I know what it's like to feel left out of the youth group and I don't want other people to have to experience that. 

As I was taking her home, we had some really good conversations. We got to talk about the drama of high school and band and boys and friendships and Winter Jam. After I dropped her off I had a God moment. I felt like He was saying She needs you. She needs you to be her friend, to show her Jesus, to let her know she is valued, to give her a safe place. She matters to Me and she is why you need to be at Crosspoint on Wednesdays.

God reminded me of the parable of the lost sheep. The shepherd left 99 to find 1. EVERY person matters to the Father! I may not get to have as big of an influence as I once did. My role may not matter as much anymore and I may not be needed by the youth workers but I am needed by my Father to go after the one who matters to Him! 

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. - Galatians 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment