Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Rams.

Tonight in youth group we will be talking about thankfulness. Our scripture is Genesis 22, the story of Abraham and Issac. I've heard this story all my life. Its a beautiful picture of obedience, faith, trust, and testing. I'm amazed at the sacrifice Abraham was willing to make because of his fear of the Lord. These are all awesome lessons but today in relation to thankfulness God showed me something different. 
I often see God as provider, which He always is. I'm more quick to be thankful for the rams in my life. For the things God provides, for the times of deliverance, and rescue, and the times when I get what I want or what I think I deserve. 
But in this season of life I feel like God is not providing the rams. Rams of less stress, easy school work, best friends, a potential husband, motivation to be healthier, time for a job, more money, a clear plan for the future... All of these things would provide God the Deliverer but God is teaching me about some of His other characteristics.
He is all-knowing. 
He is faithful.
He is my only hope.
He is my joy.
He is my strength.
He is Emmanuel. 
He is good.
So today I am thankful for the times when God doesn't provide the ram because it is in those moments that I get to know and love more of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment